Law Enforcement Division regulates the Private Security Industry in South Carolina. All unarmed security officers must obtain a license. Only a registered security companies can hire security guards.
South Carolina Security Guard License Process
The following are the requirements to obtain a security officer license. Your employer can help you prepare your application packet.
- All applicants must be 18 years of age or older to qualify for an unarmed security guard position.
- You must be a citizen of United States or must be a resident alien with work permit.
- You must be free of felony convictions and must clear a background check conducted by the local department of police and FBI.
- Complete required training.
- Fingerprints must be submitted with your application for a new registration. The fingerprint is used to perform a background check.
- You should have a valid driver’s license or a state ID.
- Pass a drug test to prove you are free of chemical dependencies.
- Be physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of a security guard.
- Good moral character and reputation.
- You should have a high school degree or GED
Fees: The fee for unarmed security officer application is $65.
South Carolina Security Guard Training Course
A minimum of four (4) hours instruction must be completed. The training must be provided by a licensed training provider and a certified trainer. The training should cover legal issues, including search and seizure, and laws of arrest, arrest procedures and techniques. You must provide proof of completion with your application.
Security Guard Salary
Average salary for security guards in South Carolina is little over $24K per year. There is potential to earn more with experience and increased responsibility.
Armed security guards can draw a higher salary than unarmed security guards. Armed guards are required to obtain licenses as an armed security officer and complete additional training.
Note: Contact South Carolina Law Enforcement Division at (803) 896-7015 to get more information on Security Guards.