You must register and obtain a license to work as an unarmed security officer in Tennessee. The Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance regulated the private security industry in the state.
Security Guard License Requirements in Tennessee
The following requirements must be met in order to obtain an unarmed license in Tennessee:
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- The applicant must be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien who is authorized to work in US.
- All applicants should be mentally competent and be of good moral character.
- Applicants should be free of habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence. There may be a drug test for this.
- All applicants should be physically fit to perform the duties of a security guard.
- Should be free of convictions including probation for 5 years for serious crimes or crimes involving firearms, shoplifting and violence.
- Complete required training.
- Submit three fingerprint cards for processing for a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) and or Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) criminal history background check.
Training Requirements for Security Guards
The training course should at least be of 4-hours and should have at least one hour devoted to each of the following modules:
- Legal powers and limitations of a security guard/officer.
- Emergency procedures.
- General duties.
At the end of the training, an applicant must pass an exam.
- Application: $50
- License: $20
- Duplicate License fee: $25 + 2 passport style color photos.
Training Requirements for the use of Additional Equipment
Appropriate training is required to carry a club, stun gun, chemical spray, night stick or other less than lethal device. The training must be provided by a certified trainer who is certified to provided training for this specific equipment. Any guard using such deices must carry a certification issued by the certified trainer and must produce this when demanded by a law enforcement officer.
Renewals of Unarmed Guard License
Unarmed Guards/Officers renew registration every two (2) years. The renewal fee is $50. For late applicants a late fee of $20/month the applicant has been late is applied.