In Iowa a private security agent aka security guard provides guard or patrol services to various sites. Registration is required to work as an unarmed security guard in the state of Iowa. In Iowa, only licensed private security agencies are permitted to hire security guards.
Requirements for Security Officer
Iowa has the following requirements for unarmed private security officers:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- The applicant should be a US citizen or a legal permanent resident who is allowed to work in the United States.
- Criminal background check: You should have not committed any felony. You should also pass a background check from local police department and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- You must send in your fingerprints in electronic format to complete your criminal record search.
- Is not using drugs or dependent on alcohol in way that can affect the applicants ability to perform the duties of a private security guard
- All applicants should be physically fit to perform the duties of a security guard.
- Applicant should have good moral character.
- A high school diploma or equivalent may be required.
Iowa Security Officer Training Course
Training can only be provided by a licensed instructor and must meet the requirements set forward by the DPS. Many security agencies provide training to their employees over an beyond the minimum required training.
Iowa Security Officer Salary
In Iowa, the average salary of private security agents was little under $26K per year for the year 2011. The range of salaries varied based on the number of years of experience, the city / town the guard is positioned at and the roles and responsibilities of the guard.
For additional resources, please visit:
Private Investigative Licensing
Program Services Bureau
Iowa Department of Public Safety
Dept of Public Safety Building
215 E 7th St, 4th Floor
Des Moines IA 50319