In order to become a security officer in Louisiana, you must register with the Board of Private Security Examiners. In the state of Louisiana, only registered security guard companies are allowed to hire security guards and must apply for a new license when they hire a security officer to work for their company.
Louisiana Security Guards Requirements
Following are the requirements to become an unarmed security guard in Louisiana:
- You must be 18 years or older to be eligible for a job as a security guard.
- Be a citizen of US or a permanent resident with work permit.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Complete the required pre-assignment training and obtain a signed verification letter.
- Fingerprints should be submitted to FBI for the purpose of conducting a background check. (Cost: $55.25)
- Two color passport style photographs
- You may be required to pass a drug test
- Applicant should be physically fit and mentally competent to perform the duties of a security guard.
- Applicant should have good moral character.
Please send your completed application or contact Board of Private Security Examiners at the below address.
Louisiana Board of Private Security Examiners
15703 Old Hammond Hwy
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Primary Phone Number: (225) 272 – 2310
Fax Number: (225) 272 – 5816
Main application: $40
Louisiana Unarmed Security Guard Training Course
16 hours of classroom training is required which covers the initial firearms instruction. In order to maintain the license, a refresher course is required annually. The training program will cover the basic roles and responsibilities of a security guard, the law and the liabilities, communication, report writing and observation skills. These skills will help you perform better in the security guard position.
Salary of Security Guards
In Louisiana, the average annual salary for security guards is around $24K. Armed security guards and experienced guards, including supervisors, managers and trainers may draw higher salary then new security guards.