Private Investigators Licensing Board in Nevada licenses Security guards in order to regulate the standard of the services offered by them and improve public safety and general welfare of the state. All security guards are required to carry their work card at all times on duty.
Nevada Security Guard License Requirements
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old to work as an unarmed guard (and 21 years old to work as an armed guard).
- Pass a criminal background check
- You must be a US Citizen or have work authorization to work in US.
- Pay the application fee of $85. The fee includes fingerprint processing fees, you will have to pay out of pocket to get the finger prints taken.
- No history of conviction in a felony.
You can either apply online or download the form and send it in. A $10 additional fee is applicable for paper based applications so it is wiser to submit online if you can. You can expedite your application for an additional $44.
Neva Security Guard Training Providers
Online Application Process
- Click the link to reach Private Investigators Licensing Board website.
- Navigate to the link “Work Cards / Registered Employee Services” on the top navigation bar of the site.
- Scroll down to see the “Online Application” link
At the time of submitting the application, you must provide the following:
- All pages of the application filled out completely
- One 2×2 color Photo
- Electronic Submission Form (electronic submission of fingerprints)
- A COPY of your driver’s license OR state/federal issued ID
- A COPY of your social security card OR birth certificate
- A COPY of your permanent resident card/employment authorization card (for non-us citizens)
- Payment (online OR money order/cashier’s check)
- Security guard exam & score of 100%
The following information has to be submitted within 30 days of submitting your application to the board or you application may be deemed withdrawn.
- A passport size photo,
- Proof of identification
- The receipt for electronic submission or (2) fingerprint cards to our office after completing the application.
You can email these to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a package to 704 W. Nye Lane, Suite 203, Carson City, Nevada 89703 or 3110 S. Durango Drive, Suite 202, Las Vegas, Nevada 89117.
Typically your application status will be updated in approximately five (5) business days after sending the additional information.
Renewal of Nevada Security Guard License / Registration
A work card is valid for 5 years can be renewed up to 90 days before the expiration.
Nevada Security Guard Exam
There are no formal training requirements to become an unarmed security guard in Nevada but you must past the security guard exam. Prospective guards must score 100% on the test. The test is a multiple choice tests with about 20 to 30 multiple choice questions. The test can be taken online. The Private Investigators Licensing Board (PILB) provides a free study guide, which can be found on their website under the ““Work Cards / Registered Employee Services”” >> “Security Guard Exam”” section.