You are required to register with Department of Public Safety Standards and Training in Oregon to work as an unarmed guard.
Security guards can only be employed by registered security guard companies.
Requirements for Oregon Security Guard License
- Minimum Age Requirement: 18 years
- A have high school diploma or must have passed a GED test. Proper documentation is required as proof.
- You must be a US citizen, permanent resident or a resident alien who is authorized to work in the United States.
- Background check: You must pass a criminal history record check conducted by the Department of Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Training requirements: You must complete the required training prior to getting your security guard card.
- Fingerprints must be posted with your application for a new application. The fingerprint is used to perform a criminal record check.
- Submit two passport size photos.
- All applicants should be legally and mentally competent and be of good moral character. Must meet the moral fitness standard.
You can download the application forms from here.
Fees should be made payable to Department of Public Safety Standards and Training and can be paid using credit card, cashier’s check, business check or money order.
Criminal History Fingerprint Fee: $50.00
Certification fee: $65.00
Total Fees: $115.00
Certification is valid for two years.
Security Guard Training Requirements in Oregon
All unarmed security officers must complete 12 hour of training from a certified instructor. Please visit the DPSST website for the current list of approved instructors. Some of the modules that will be covered in the training program are:
- General duties
- Role of the security guard
- State licensing laws
- Identifying and reporting precursor activities
- Security patrol
- Emergency Response
Salary Information for Security Guards
As per Bureau of Labor Statistics, average salary for Security guards is $27K per year. Many security guards can draw salary which deviates from this mean, right from minimum wages to $50K per year. The variation is due to difference in roles and responsibilities, site the guard is positioned at and experience.
For Additional information please see:
State of Oregon: Department of Public Safety Standards and Training