Security guards are hired by companies that provide Protective Services in Minnesota. Security officers are known and Protective Agents in Minnesota and must obtain a license from Board of Private Detective and Protective Agent Services or be hired by a licensed service provider.
Requirements for Unarmed Security Guard / Protective Agents
The below are the requirements for all Protective Agents and their employees.
- All applicants must be 18 years old to be eligible for an unarmed security guard position with a licensed
- All applicants must submit their fingerprints in order to complete a criminal background check. Applicants should be free of felony convictions.
- No drug or alcohol dependencies.
- Must be a citizen of United States or must be permitted by Homeland Security and Department of Labor to work in the United States.
You can request an application packet from Board of Private Detective and Protective Agent Services by sending a $25 check or money order and specifying the type of application you are requesting (For unarmed security guard, you must request Protective Agent application for an individuals. Please see the fee schedule for latest application fees.
Protective Agent Training Requirements
All unarmed guards must complete 12 hours of pre-assignment training within the first 21 days of employment. Additionally, they must complete 6 hours of continuing training annually. In the required training, you will learn about the basic duties and responsibilities of an unarmed security guard. Additional Job-related training may be provided by the Protective Agent service. The training may be provided in-house (after obtaining permission) or can be provided by a licensed training provider.
Modules of a Security Guard Training Course
- Security overview
- Legal authority and liabilities related to private security
- Communication skills
- Emergency response and Incident/ situation assessment
- Minnesota Private Detective and Protective Agent Statute and Administrative Rules
These are some other requirements that most protective services in Minnesota require of their employees.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work outside of regular work hours (evening and weekend work).
Security guards are expected to be in demand with over 15% growth in jobs expected over the next decade in Minnesota.
For more information please see Board of Private Detective and Protective Agent Services.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.