Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS) – Private Security Bureau (PSB) regulates the private security and private investigation industry in the state of Texas. PSB licenses private security and private investigation companies and registers individuals employed by those companies in a regulated capacity. PSB also sets the requirements for security guard training in Texas. You must be employed by a licensed private security company before you can receive your license registration.
Security Guard Requirements in Texas
For one to obtain a non-commissioned security officer license in Texas, they should meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicant must clear a criminal background check conducted by a local police department and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- The applicant should be a US citizen or must be eligible to work in the United States.
- You should complete 30 hours of training from a Department of Public Safety approved training provider and the course must be conducted by a licensed instructor. Level II training course and test is required for non-commissioned officers in Texas. Please see additional training requirements.
Security Officer Training Course – Level II
Level II course conducted by an approved school for security guard training in Texas will include the following modules:
- Role of Security Officer
- Police interaction with Security
- Conflict Resolution
- Use of Force
- Detainment & Arrest
- Report Writing & Observations
- Responding to Emergencies
- Applicable TxDPS, PSB Regulations and Actions
You can work as an unarmed guard after completing this training and getting your license. To work as an armed guard, you are required to complete additional training.
Texas Security Guard License Process
In Texas you can either submit your application manually by mailing your application or online by using Texas online. You can also check the status of your application online.
Once your application is complete, it will take 4-6 weeks to receive your license. Your license is valid for two years from the date of issues and has to be renewed after that.
Electronic fingerprinting can be completed at these approved locations. You can also complete the fingerprinting process manually. Please see this article TxDPS on fingerprinting for more details.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.