Security Guards is an in demand profession in New York State. Experienced security guards can draw a salary of up to $45K in New York State. No wonder it is a profession of high demand among people. Many security guard openings also do not require a college degree.
Requirements to become a security guard in NY
- Must be a legal alien resident or a citizen of united states
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must complete an 8-hour security guard training course from an approved security guard training provider and pass an exam at the end of the training. On completion of the training you will get a certificate which you must collect and retain
- Complete Electronic fingerprinting and get a proof that you have completed it.
- Make an application for registration along with the fees.
Once registered you can sign up for an assignment
- On the assignment, you must complete an on the job training of 16 hours that covers duties specific to the role you have and must be catered to the responsibilities on the site in the first 90 days on the job.
- A registration is valid for two years and you must undergo a required 8 hour of update and refresher training to maintain you registration.
The cost of registering and finger printing is up to under $200. The cost of training can be different from one school to another. Best is to look at all the school nearby that are approved by DCJS and get a quote for the training services. Be cautious of any packages and job guarantees provided by the training schools. The training school may not be able to fulfill its promise. Always ask your friends or any security guard you know for reverence before joining a security guard training school.
The training is an important part of becoming a security guard in the state of New York. Unlike many states where you can get hired for a security guard prior to any training, training is mandatory in the state of New York.
There are additional requirements to become an armed security guard in the state of New York and it also requires a different registration. Also armed security guards are required to have a firearms license before they can get registered.
New York is one the states that pays well for the role of a security guard. There will be opportunities to grow in the field. You can always go for further training and get an armed security guard license, which generally also comes with a better pay package.
Some people due to their current or previous work experience may be exempt from the required 8-hour training and registration requirement. For example, active Police Officer need not got for the pre-assignment training.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.