In Colorado, the town and the city you want to work as a security guard set their own requirements for license and guard card. Licenses are not issues by the state of Colorado. So you will have to get in touch with the licensing department in your city or town. The below article covers the requirements for becoming a Merchant guard (security guard) in Denver:
General Colorado Security Guard Requirements
In order to become an employee of a merchant patrol / security guard company in any cities or towns of Colorado, you should meet the following requirements:
- Must be 18 or older to apply
- Must be a US citizen or a resident alien
- Must be a resident of Colorado
- Must pass a background check
- Complete required training if any
For more specific requirements, please contact the licensing department or seek guidance from a private security agency in the area.
Merchant Guard Requirements in Denver
As defined by the city’s official website, “Merchant guard or merchant patrol shall mean any person who conducts or is engaged in the business of providing protection to persons and property, or preserving the peace in the conduct of any business, except a business or industrial guard.” Please provide the below documents along with the completed application and required fees. See below.
- Colorado Bureau of Investigations (CBI) Name Check
- Photo ID
- Letter of Hire
- Merchant Guard Application Form
- Applicant Criminal History Form
- Medical Examination
- Character References from three individuals to whom the applicant is not related and have known for longer than one year.
- Photocopy of Social Security Card
- Affidavit of Lawful Presence accompanied by
- Secure and Verifiable Identification
Application fees: In Denver, an individual has to pay the below fees for their license. Application Fee: $50.00 License Fee: $25.00 CBI Name Check: $6.85 For more details on requirements in Denver see, see Merchant Guard Individual. Please see armed security guard training section for more details on how to obtain a firearms permit.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.