In order to work as a protective agent or security guard (armed or unarmed) in Minnesota, one must get the security guard license issued by Minnesota Private Detective and Protective Agent Services Board after completing the requisite security guard training.
Minnesota Security Guard License Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to become a security guard license in Minnesota.
- All applicants must be 18 years old.
- Must pass a prescreening process conducted by the employer which will include a background check and a drug test
- Applicants must sign a waiver and authorize the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to disclose all criminal history record information to the prospective employer. A finger print record may be taken or the applicant may have to go to an approved center to get their finger prints taken.
- Must pass a drug test
- Must be eligible to work in the United States ( US Citizens, Permanent residents and
- Training must be conducted at an approved facility by an approved course instructor. In most cases the protective agency will provide you with the require training.
A Protective Agent individual license will cost $800, a partnership license will cost $1,600 and an LLC or a Corporation license will cost $1,800
Unlike many other states where training may be required upfront, in Minnesota, Protective Agency
Minnesota Pre-Assignment Training Course
Minnesota requires all security guards to complete training before they can be assigned to a location. It is the responsibility of the agency to make sure that a prospective guard meets all the requirements before assigning them to a location. Many agencies have in-house facilities to train their guards. Some of they may send their employees to external security schools or arrange for training session online.
Salary for Security guards in Minnesota
The salary for security guards varies based on the number of years of experience, the type of the site, length of the contract and many other factors. Security guards salaries can typically range from $25K-$45K per year.