The Secretary of State can certify you as a security guard in Maryland. A security company can hire you without the certification if the agency has submitted to the Secretary your application for certification as a security guard, fingerprint cards, and records fee. On approval you will receive a certification card that certifies you as a security guard in Maryland.
If you have obtained and currently possess certification by the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission as a police officer, you are exempt from the certification requirement.
Security Guard Requirements in Maryland
The following are the security guard training requirements that show you how to become a security guard in Maryland:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Criminal background check: You should have not committed any felony. In addition you should also pass a background check of local police departments and Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
- US citizen or resident alien
- Good moral character and reputation
- You may be required to pass a drug test
The security firm that hires you will inform you if any additional training is required for you to start your job. Additional training is required for one to become an armed guard in state of Maryland.
Security Guard Training in Top Cities of Maryland
Maryland Security Guard License Process
Individuals who are not current employees of, or a current applicant for employment with a licensed security guard agency should not apply for a Security Guard Certification. Licensed Security Guard agencies shall, upon receipt from an applicant will forward the following to the Secretary:
- Complete application form
- Fingerprinting card or electronic fingerprinting ( cost: $34.5, paid to the service provider)
- Criminal background check
- Two color passport style photographs
- Application Fees: $15 (paid by check or money order in favor of “Maryland State Police”)
The application should be mailed to
Maryland State Police
Attn.: Licensing Services Section – Security Guard Unit
1111 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
It can take up to 90 days to process the application. The certification is valid for a period of three years. You should apply for renewal at least 90 days before the current certification is set to expire (cost of application is $10). If your certification expires, you have to begin you application as a new applicant.
You must carry the certification card with you at all times when you are on duty and display the card if requested by a law enforcement officer.
For additional details and a check list, please see Security Guard Certifications