Mississippi has no licensing requirements for security guards. However Mississippi licenses the security agencies that can operate in the state and a security guard can only be hired by them. Some Cities and towns may set licensing requirements in their jurisdiction. Please check with a local security agency for any specific licensing requirements.
Common Requirements for Security Officers in Mississippi
Many top security agencies have the following requirements for their security guards
- Minimum age requirement: You must be 18 years of age to apply for a security guard license.
- All security guards must be US citizen or should be authorized to work in the United States.
- Criminal background check conducted using fingerprint by the State Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Get certified in the basic skills and become aware of the responsibilities of a security guard.
- Fingerprints must be posted with your submission for a new certification. The fingerprint is used to perform a criminal record search.
- Submit two passport size photos.
- Pass a drug test to prove you are free of chemical dependencies.
- All applicants should be legally and mentally competent and be of good moral character.
- Be of good moral character.
Unarmed Private Security Officer Training Course
Typically the following modules are included in an unarmed security guard training course:
- Role and Responsibilities
- Laws and regulation
- Managing conflict situations
- Report writing and Observation
- Communication skills
- First aid
- Ethic and code of conduct
A firearms permit is required to carry firearms on duty.
Salary Information for Security Officer
In 2011, the mean annual salary for security officer in the state was little under $24K (based on data released by BLS).
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.