The state of Missouri has no licensing requirements for unarmed security guard. However some cities and counties like Kansas City, St. Louis, St. Joseph, Springfield and Joplin require unarmed guards to register and obtain a license. The type of license and the requirements may vary from state to state, Please contact with a security guard agency or watchmen service provider in your area to understand the licensing requirements. Security agencies in Missouri may be required to obtain a license.
Common Requirements for Security Officers
These are some requirements that are set forth by security agencies that hire unarmed guards:
- A security guard must be at least 18 years old. Some security agencies require their guards to be at least 21 years old.
- Get trained in the basic skills and become aware of the responsibilities of a security guard.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Be a citizen of US or a permanent resident with work permit.
- Pass a drug test to prove you are free of chemical dependencies.
- Be of good moral character.
- Be physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of a security guard.
Salary of Security Guards
Security guards in Missouri get paid on average about $24K. The compensation varies based on the city, site, experience and the job duties. Security guard companies typically hire guards and assign them to client locations.
Security Guard Training Course
Many private security guard companies have in-house security facilities that provide training to their employees. A typical security guard course will have the following modules:
- Laws and regulation
- Managing conflict situations
- Report writing
- Communication skills
- Working with law enforcement officers
Please feel free to leave comments or ask questions related to getting a security guard job or application process. Also please share rules in your city in the comments section. For City of St. Louis see Metropolitan Police Department – Private Security.