All security officers must be certified under the Security Officer Registration Act (SORA). A SORA license is required to work as a security guard in New Jersey. New Jersey State Police, Private Detective Unit accepts application for SORA license online along with the application fee of $75.
Requirement for Security Officer Training in New Jersey
Below are the minimum requirements to become a security guard in New Jersey:
- All applicants should be at least 18 years old
- Must have a valid photo ID (Driving license or a Passport)
- Must register with the New Jersey State police and obtain a 30-day temporary certificate of registration as a security officer. You can begin your online application here.
- Complete 24 hours of required training (and pass the exam after the test) within 30 days of applying for the license.
It is wise to schedule your training and then submit your application as you must complete the training in 30 days after submitting the application.
Security Officer Training Course
A security officer must complete an approved 24-hour course of classroom instruction taught by a certified security officer instructor. New Jersey also sets minimum requirements for the course contents. The training course should have a minimum of two hours (can be more) of instruction and training in each of the following:
- Homeland security and counter-terrorism
- Communications/emergency response
- Theft prevention
- Limits on the use of force
- Detention of suspects
- Ethics and professional conduct
- First aid/CPR/AED and
- Any other subject areas the Superintendent determines are necessary in the interest of public safety
Fingerprinting should be completed on the Sagem Morpho fingerprint form provided with the online application. You must schedule your fingerprint appointment at BioApplicant -NJ. The fingerprints will be used to run criminal background check by the state police department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Renewal of Security Guard (SORA) Card in New Jersey
A security officer certification is valid for two years from the date of issue in New Jersey. The guard certification must be renewed before expiration. The applicant must also complete an 8-hour training at an approved training school, conducted by a certified faculty. The cost of renewal application is $60.
Security Officer Salary in New Jersey
SORA certified Security officers in New Jersey draw a salary of $30K-$50K. The salary will vary depending on the number of years of experience you have and whether you are working as an instructor or a supervisor/ manager.
Armed security officers have additional training requirements.
Links for more information
For latest updates and changes to the rules, please see: SORA Updates
See latest security guard rules and regulation here or by going to http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/pdf/060106_rulesregs.pdf