Washington requires all unarmed private security guards to be registered and licensed by the Washington State Department of Licensing (WSDL). WSDL also sets the requirements for private security guard training in Washington.
How to Become a Private Security Guard in Washington
You must meet the following requirements to become an unarmed private security guard in Washington:
- You must be at least 18 years old at the time of submitting your application.
- You should be a United States citizen or resident alien who is allowed to work in United States.
- You must either be employed by, or have an employment offer from, a licensed private security guard company.
- You should have no criminal convictions that affect your ability to perform your duties.
- Complete the pre-assignment training requirements.
Security Guard Application in Washington
You can apply directly to the security guard company you wish to work for. They can complete the application on your behalf. Many schools will also pay for training or get you trained with their affiliated schools.
Follow these steps to get a Washington guard card:
- A completed Private Security Guard License Application. You can download the application forms here.
- A non-refundable application fee (application fee: $111).
- 1 completed fingerprint card.
Please collect the application forms with payments and mail them together to:
Public Protection Services Section
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
It may take up to 60 day to process your application.
Washington Pre-assignment Training for Security Guards
The following modules should be covered in the required pre-assignment training:
- Role of the security guard. and State licensing laws.
- Terrorism and Surveillance.
- Legal powers and limitations
- Use of force.
- Responding to emergency situation such as fires, medical emergencies, criminal acts and bomb threats.
- Safety and accident prevention and reporting.
- Report writing, why it is important and elements and characteristics of a report.
Renewal fees for private security guards is $85 ($90 for late renewal)
Unarmed private security guards make up $20K-$40K depending on the various factors. Armed security guards typically make more and this is a motivation to pursue armed security guard training.
For additional resources, please visit: