If you want to be an unarmed security guard in Wisconsin, you have to register with Department of Safety and Professional Services and obtain a Private Security Permit / License. You must also complete required security guard training in Wisconsin.
Private Security Permit Requirements in Wisconsin
The following requirements are the requirement to obtain a private security guard license in Wisconsin:
- You must be at least 18 years old to obtain a permit for security guard.
- You must be free of felony conviction or must clear a background check conducted by the local department of police and FBI.
- You must be a citizen of United States or must be a resident alien with work permit.
- Is not using drugs or dependent on alcohol in way that can affect the applicants ability to perform the duties of a private security guard
- Should be emotionally, mentally and physically capable to perform all tasks of a security guard.
- One recent photograph
You must submit your fingerprints electronically to complete your background check. Please schedule your appointment online with MorphoTrust. You must submit your application to the Department within 14 days of completing your fingerprints.
Initial permit fee: $75
Name background check: $8
Temporary permit fee: $10
The department can issue a temporary permit after completing the criminal background check which is valid for 30 days
Renewal for Private Security Permit
A private security guard permit expires on August 31 of the even-numbered year. All permits must be renewed at that time. The renewal fee is $115 (if $140, if late)
A firearms permit is required to become an armed security guard in Wisconsin.
For additional reference and to download the forms please see: Department of Safety and Professional Services.
If you have any questions related to the application process, please feel free to ask in the comments section.