In order to become an unarmed security guard in Illinois you should have a Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC card) and must complete the required training courses. Complete requirements for security guard training in Illinois are outlined below. These requirements are applicable across Illinois, including Chicago.
Requirements for Security Guard Training in Illinois
Following are the requirements to work as a security guard in Illinois:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to work as an unarmed security guard in Illinois.
- You must be a US Citizen or be authorized to work in the United States
- You must obtain a PERC Card
- Complete 20 hours of training and obtain a security guard license.
- Criminal background check is part of the PERC application process conducted by Illinois State Police (ISP) in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
A PERC card is issued by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation and is required to shows that you are eligible to be employed in the field of security
Security Training By Cities
Illinois Unarmed Security Officer Application Process
You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a PERC card. Follow the below step-by-step guide to complete your application for the PERC card.
- Download the PERC Card application form. Complete the application in its entirety.
- Provide your social security number (you are required to provide an SSN if you have one).
- FEEs: Submit a non-refundable registration fee of $55.00 to IDFPR, made payable to the “Department of Financial and Professional Regulation”.
- Submit the appropriate security clearance documents (see complete list in form).
- Attach one photograph with the application.
- Fingerprinting: Complete fingerprint processing from Illinois State Police (ISP) or an approved vendor within 60 days of submitting the application. You can find a list of approved Livescan fingerprint vendors in the application form. Attach a copy of the electronic fingerprint receipt.
- Forward completed application to:
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
ATTN: Division of Professional Regulation
P.O. Box 7007
Springfield, Illinois 62791
If you have applied and received a PERC card in the past and it has expired, you have to apply for a renewal instead of a new application.
Getting a PERC card makes you eligible to look for unarmed security guard jobs. You should start your job search after getting the card. You should complete 20 hours of training from an approved training school and get a security guard license to get an unarmed security guard job. There are many approved security guard training schools in Illinois and many local community colleges are also offering these training courses.
See here for information on firearms training in Illinois and other states.