There is no license required to work as an unarmed security officer in Michigan with a licensed private security guard agency. A private security guard agency can hire guards without any license, however they must follow the below minimum requirement and must also get licensed themselves.
Security Guard Requirements in Michigan
Following are the basic requirements for one to work in the field of security in Michigan.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old
- Criminal background check conducted using fingerprint by the Michigan State Police Department and The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- The applicant should be a US citizen or a legal permanent resident who is allowed to work in the United States.
Training may be required by private security guard companies. Some companies may also provide free security guard training in house. The course modules will be decided by the agency proving the security guard training in Michigan
Requirements for Private Security Guard Agency License
All applicants for the private security guard agency license should meet the following requirements:
- Should be at least 25 years old.
- Should have high school education or its equivalent.
- No felony convictions.
- In the last five years, have not had a misdemeanor conviction of dishonesty or fraud; unauthorized divulging or selling of information or evidence; impersonation of a law enforcement officer; illegally using, carrying, or possessing a dangerous weapon; two or more alcohol related offenses; controlled substances under the public health code 1978 PA 368; and assault.
- Meet one the following four experience requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree in police administration or industrial security and 2 years full-time experience in a licensed security guard agency or as a security administrator in private business. OR
- In the private security guard agency business in another state for a period of not less than 3 years. OR
- For not less than 4 years, served in a supervisory capacity with the rank above that of a patrolman in a licensed security guard agency. OR
- For not less than 4 years, served as a full-time certified police officer for a city, county, or state government or the United States government.
Security guards and private security companies are held to high standards to create a safe environment for the people and property they guard.
A security guard license is valid for two years and must to be renewed before expiry or additional fees may apply.
Armed security guards require fire arms training in Michigan.
Links for more information:
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Private Security Guards
The required application forms can be obtained from the Document Management System.
Best of luck for your security officer career!