Virginia unarmed security license is required for one to work as an unarmed security officer in Virginia.
You can get hired as an unarmed security officer by a licensed security company without training, but you have to complete your training and obtain your unarmed security officer license in the first 90 days of employment.
Requirements for Security Officers in Virginia
Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) in Virginia has set the following requirements for security officers:
- You must be at least 18 years old. No prior experience is required.
- Criminal background check must be submitted within 90 days of submitting your license application. Fingerprint Card and $50.00 non-refundable fee must be paid.
- Must be a United States citizen or legal resident alien of the United States.
The initial registration is valid for 2-years. The application fee is $25.00.
Virginia Security Officer Training Course
All unarmed security guards must complete 18-hours of required training. Virginia DCJS sets the requirements for the security officer training course. The course must contain the following modules and must be administered by a licensed instructor at an approved training facility.
- Orientation covering Virginia Law and Regulations, Code of Ethics, and General Duties and Responsibilities – 2 hours
- Law – 4 hours
- Security Patrol, Access Control, and Communications – 2 hours
- Documentation – 4 hours
- Emergency Procedures – 4 hours
- Confrontation Management – 2 hours
Many security companies have in-house training schools where you can get your training for free and the private security firm may also file your paperwork with DCJS and pay the required fees. However getting security officer training in Virginia on your own will show commitment to enter the field of private security and you may get hired much sooner.
You can renew your license up to 60 days after it has expired. After 60 days, you have to apply for a new license. 4-hour training is required at the time of renewal.
Virginia Security Officer Salary
Security guards in Virginia make $20K – $55K per year. The compensation varies based on the number of years of experience, the city you are in and the site you are guarding. Salary is similar to what security personnel draw in Texas.
Virginia School Security Officer Training and Requirements
A certified School Security Officer (SSO) was implemented for security guards in Virginia to implement higher standard of safety in school campuses. All new SSOs are required to complete 32-hours of training within the first 60 days of employment. Also, to remain certified, SSOs must complete 16 hours of in-service training during each 2-year period following their initial certification.
Requirements for School Security Officer (SSO) certification
Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services issues the SSO certifications. For an applicant to become a School Security Officer (SSO), they must meet the below minimum requirements:
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age
- Must undergo a background investigation to include fingerprint-based criminal history record inquiry of both the Central Criminal Records Exchange (CCRE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Have a high school diploma or have passed the General Education Development
More information for SSO certification can be found here.
Department of Criminal Justice Services, Virginia
Fingerprints application form
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.